Candle starts house fire in Visalia

The Fresno BeeMarch 8, 2014 

— A burning candle started a house fire early Saturday morning in Visalia, firefighters said.

The Visalia Fire Department was dispatched to 1932 E. Douglas Ave. about 6 a.m., where firefighters saw smoke coming out the front of the single-story home. Firefighters quickly snuffed a small fire in a bedroom closet.

Five people were asleep inside the home when the fire started, but everyone got out safely before firefighters arrived.

The fire started when a candle burning throughout the night on a dresser ignited some material next to it, firefighters said. The blaze caused about $2,000 in damage.

The reporter can be reached at (559) 441-6386, cgeorge@fresnobee.com or @CarmenGeorge on Twitter.

The Fresno Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service