Improperly discarded smoke materials sparked a fire Sunday morning in a single-story duplex in Visalia, Battalion Chief Darrin Hughes said.
Hughes said firefighters went to the 500 block of West Noble Avenue about 6:37 a.m. A woman had been sleeping inside the duplex, but she made it outside before firefighters arrived.
Hughes said she was taken to Kaweah Delta Medical Center where she was treated for possible smoke inhalation.
The fire was put out within 10 minutes and was contained to one unit. Damage to the duplex was estimated about $30,000, Hughes said.
The reporter can be reached at (559) 441-6015 or firstname.lastname@example.org.