Candle ignites shed fire at Visalia home

The Fresno BeeDecember 29, 2013 

An unattended candle left in a storage shed is to blame for a structure fire early Sunday morning that threatened a house on the property and others nearby, the Visalia Fire Department said.

Firefighters were called to a structure fire at 520 W. Kimball Ave. around 5:07 a.m. where they discovered a storage shed in the backyard of the residence on fire.

Three fire engines, one ladder truck, a battalion chief and a total of 13 personnel knocked the fire down in 15 minutes and checked the surrounding homes to see if the fire had spread.

The shed and its contents were a total loss at about $14,000, the fire department said. There was also about $1,000 in damages to the home and the fence lines of the houses to the west and north of the property.

The fire was accidental and caused by a candle that shattered inside the shed, causing the fire to spread rapidly.

Check fresnobee.com for breaking news.

The Fresno Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service