Trailer fire hospitalizes Central Valley Repair employee

The Fresno BeeDecember 28, 2013 

A trailer was destroyed when an explosion occurred at a repair yard in Fresno Saturday.

BRIANNA VACCARI — The Fresno Bee

A Central Valley Repair employee was hospitalized Saturday night when the travel trailer he was working on exploded into flames.

The employee was installing propane tanks in the trailer and was checking for leaks when there was an explosion and the trailer was engulfed in flames. The blaze broke out at the repair yard located at on East Home Avenue in east-central Fresno.

The man was able to get out, but suffered second-degree burns to his face, hands and legs, Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Thomas Cope said. The employee was to be taken to an area hospital for treatment; Cope was not certain which one.

Fresno Fire Department responded to what firefighters thought was a vehicle fire at 5:39 p.m. The fire department sent five engines when it found out a building near the trailer was also exposed to flames. Two engines put out the fire by 5:45 p.m.

The fire destroyed the trailer, and another trailer nearby also was damaged from heat exposure. The side of a building also sustained major damage, and parts of a trailer inside that building were slightly melted.

Cope said the carpet and other materials on the trailers burn quickly and act as fuel. The trailer was destroyed in minutes, he said.

He placed the damage estimate at $15,000 or more.

The reporter can be reached at (559) 441-6679 or bvaccari@fresnobee.com.

The Fresno Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service