The Visalia Times-Delta building has been evacuated because of smoke in the press room.
Times-Delta human resources director Susan Jones said 30 to 35 people were evacuated.
Battalion Chief Doyle Sewell said the source of the smoke is believed to be a malfunctioning heating and air conditioning unit. One press room employee was taken away in an ambulance, and smoke inhalation may have been a factor, although the employee had a health issue.
Firefighters are still investigating, Sewell said.
The call about smoke in the building came in about 10:22 a.m.
Check fresnobee.com for breaking news.