Residents of an Easton home thought they only had a chimney fire when they called firefighters late Friday night but were surprised when arriving firefighters told them the flames had spread into the attic.
The fire caused an estimated $30,000 to the home in the 100 block of East Jefferson Avenue, just east of Elm Avenue, fire Capt. Ryan Michaels said. Smoke billowing from the fire could easily be seen from nearby Highway 41.
When firefighters arrived at the home about 11:20 p.m., Michaels said, they found two men and two women sitting on a couch. It was only after they were safely outside that they saw smoke billowing from the attic.
Michaels said the fire was contained to the attic but damage to the roof displaced the residents.
Visit fresnobee.com throughout the day for breaking news and updates.