Construction is complete on a $10 million project to extend the main runway at Fresno Yosemite International Airport.
A pair of federal grants from the Federal Aviation Administration and the U.S. Department of Transportation paid for 90% the work, which began in February. The remaining 10% was paid for using funds from Measure C, Fresno County's half-cent transportation sales tax.
The extension at the northwest end of the runway was required under federal safety requirements for a 1,000-foot safety zone at each end of the runway. Airport officials said the extension is the latest of several long-range airfield improvements, including widening and lengthening the airport's secondary runway late last year.
The reporter can be reached at (559) 441-6319, email@example.com or @tsheehan on Twitter.