Heavy rains forced the University of Colorado to cancel classes Thursday and today, but its Saturday afternoon football game against visiting Fresno State remains on as scheduled in Boulder, Colo.
Colorado school officials met with public safety agencies and were told flooding and other weather-related issues will not prevent the game from being played, Fresno State Athletic Director Thomas Boeh said.
Folsom Field, where Colorado plays its games, is on top of a hill and did not flood. The stadium has natural grass, but the field is expected to be in decent playing shape by the 11 a.m. PDT opening kickoff.
"At present there are no issues with the game on Saturday other than parking," Colorado's Athletic Department announced early Thursday, though the Buffaloes did move practices to the lacrosse field after nearby Boulder Creek flooded the football practice fields.
Today's forecast was for thunderstorms and a 70% chance of rain. The call for Saturday was isolated thunderstorms and a 30% chance of rain.
Fresno State was to fly this afternoon to Denver, then bus to the team hotel in Westminster, Colo.
"Obviously, we're concerned for the people and the families that are there, the players and the coaches," Bulldogs coach Tim DeRuyter said. "But as far as playing the game on Saturday, we don't anticipate there's going to be an issue."