Fans of Elberta peaches can relax. The beloved fuzzy peach has arrived.
Several farmers have begun harvesting the old-time variety, while others plan to pick soon. The peach is known for its fine texture, sweet aroma and rich flavor.
Farmer Mary Lou Hurtado has been selling Fay Elbertas, a close relative of the Elberta peach, for more than 10 years and says the excitement over the peach never fades.
"We get calls weeks in advance from people wanting to know when they will be ready," she says. "I had orders even before we started picking."
Vincent Ricchiuti, of Bella Frutta fruit store at Willow and Shepard avenues, says the peach is very versatile and can be used for canning, freezing and for making cobbler, pie or crisp.
"It may not be very red on the outside but the flavor of these peaches is out of this world," Ricchiuti says.
If you're interested in trying the peach keep in mind most farmers will only have them for two to three weeks.
Here is a partial list of where you can find Elberta peaches and its related varieties:
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Location: 1959 N. Willow Ave., Clovis
- More information: (559) 298-8290
- Hours: 9 a.m to 5 p.m.
- Location: 7175 S. Peach Ave., Fowler. The Knowles do not have a fruit stand, so farmer Donna Knowles recommends customers call and order peaches in advance, then pick them up at the ranch.
- More info: (559) 834-3666 or 284-1660.
- Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. daily.
- Location: Millbrook and Alluvial avenues.
- More info: (559) 439-0104
- Location: Farmer Parry Klassen will have Elberta peaches available Friday and Saturday at Sierra Nut House, 7901 N. Blackstone Ave. Also, you can buy Elbertas at his farm, northwest of Reedley.
- More info: pkfruitfarms.com.
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily.
- Location: 4941 N. Dower Ave., just south of Shaw Avenue.
- More info: (559) 843-2333
- Location: 6319 S. Alta Ave. Reedley Contact farmer Rob Mizuno to order in advance and pick up at the farm.
- More info: (559) 289-0108.
- Hours: 9 a.m.- 6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, Sundays by appointment only. Lubisich's farm is known for late harvests of Fay Elberta peaches, so start checking with him after July 29. His stand is behind a home on Nees Avenue, just west of Willow Avenue. Look for the sign that says "Peaches," then turn into the driveway.
- Location: Nees Avenue, just west of Willow Avenue.
- More info: (559) 217-2001.
- Hours: 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Location: Minnewawa Avenue, just north of Nees Avenue.
- More info: The Peach Tree offers both Fay Elberta peaches and Fayettes, a closely related variety. Call to check for availability, (559) 299-2901.
The reporter can be reached at (559) 441-6327, firstname.lastname@example.org or @FresnoBeeBob on Twitter.