You're in the Sports - Sports Wire - Auto Racing section

Marussia confirm merger talks with Caterham

The Associated Press

Thursday, Mar. 21, 2013 | 07:58 PM

tool name

close
tool goes here
0 comments

SEPANG, Malaysia -- The Formula One team Marussia has confirmed it has held merger talks with rival Caterham in the latest sign of the financial struggles faced by the smaller teams on the grid.

Graeme Lowdon, Marussia president and sporting director, said Friday that "talks took place" but were not ongoing.

Caterham also confirmed the Christmas 2012 discussion, but spokesman Tom Webb said no deal was reached because "it was soon clear that a mutually beneficial solution could not be achieved," adding it had less to gain from the move, since it has several blue chip sponsors.

Marussia won no points in 2012 and continues to endure financial difficulties. It made headlines earlier this year when Timo Glock left in a cost-cutting move, replaced by a driver who could bring in sponsorship dollars.


The Bee's story-comment system is provided by Disqus. To read more about it, see our Disqus FAQ page. If you post comments, please be respectful of other readers. Your comments may be removed and you may be blocked from commenting if you violate our terms of service. Comments flagged by the system as potentially abusive will not appear until approved by a moderator.

more videos »
Visit our video index