You're in the News Nation & World - World News Wire section

100 injured in highway wrecks in Canadian blizzard

The Associated Press

Thursday, Mar. 21, 2013 | 02:26 PM

tool name

close
tool goes here
0 comments

EDMONTON -- A blizzard sweeping across the Canadian plains caused a chain of traffic crashes south of Edmonton, Alberta, injuring about 100 travelers, officials said Thursday.

One person was seriously hurt and about 80 were treated at the site, said Kerry Williamson of the Alberta Health Services office. Another official had earlier estimated that 300 people were hurt, four seriously. About 22 people were taken to hospitals in nearby communities, Williamson said.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police closed part of Highway 2, the main road between Edmonton and Calgary, and were directing traffic away from the collision scene, said RCMP Staff Sgt. Grant MacDonald.

He said the crash involved several vehicles, including a large passenger bus and several semi-trailer trucks.


Similar stories:

  • Canadian remains found at site of Algeria gas site

  • Lawyers: Close hearing in Canada body parts case

  • No suspensions from Canada-Mexico brawl at Classic

  • Japan gives Canada $1 million to help with debris

  • Japan gives Canada $1 million to help with debris

The Bee's story-comment system is provided by Disqus. To read more about it, see our Disqus FAQ page. If you post comments, please be respectful of other readers. Your comments may be removed and you may be blocked from commenting if you violate our terms of service. Comments flagged by the system as potentially abusive will not appear until approved by a moderator.

more videos »
Visit our video index