You're in the Business - 24 Hour Business section

Opel employees reject redevelopment plan

The Associated Press

Thursday, Mar. 21, 2013 | 11:56 AM

tool name

close
tool goes here
0 comments

BERLIN -- Employees at General Motor Co.'s Opel troubled German plant in Bochum have rejected a redevelopment plan, which means production there could end by late 2014.

German news agency dpa said Thursday that a majority of the Bochum plant's workers rejected a redevelopment plan that would have left only 1,200 jobs there after the year 2016. About 3,200 persons now work at the unit in Bochum.

Steve Girsky, the chairman of Opel's board of directors and GM's vice chairman, had said earlier that production at the Bochum plant would end by Jan. 1, 2015, if there was not an agreement with the employees, dpa reported.


Similar stories:

  • Fresno State part-time workers' hours could be cut

  • Fresno mayor Swearengin sees brief relief for budget

  • N.C. farmers, industry wary of federal cuts to meat inspectors

  • Air Liquide to open Tulare County gas plant

  • Nearly 250 laid off at Wash. Hanford nuclear site

The Bee's story-comment system is provided by Disqus. To read more about it, see our Disqus FAQ page. If you post comments, please be respectful of other readers. Your comments may be removed and you may be blocked from commenting if you violate our terms of service. Comments flagged by the system as potentially abusive will not appear until approved by a moderator.

more videos »
Visit our video index