You're in the News Nation & World - World News Wire section

Colombia peace talks recess; no initial agreement

The Associated Press

Thursday, Mar. 21, 2013 | 10:51 AM

tool name

close
tool goes here
0 comments

HAVANA -- Colombia's government and largest guerrilla army have closed another round of peace talks without reaching a deal on agrarian reform, the first of six agenda points for negotiations taking place in Havana.

Lead government negotiator Humberto de la Calle says the two sides have concluded the latest round of talks and will now recess as planned.

He says negotiations with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia will resume April 2 with the hope of swiftly reaching a deal on agrarian issues. Expectations had been high that an initial agreement was imminent.

Land problems were the prime source of Colombia's armed conflict, which has been raging for decades.

De la Calle also said Thursday that the conversations will not include any topics not on the pre-agreed agenda.


Similar stories:

  • Colombia's ex-pres faces blowback over peace talks

  • Congress wants role as Obama pushes trade agenda

  • US starts clock for beginning EU trade talks

  • Trade gets short shrift in presidential campaign

  • Iran's top leader unhappy with nuclear talks

The Bee's story-comment system is provided by Disqus. To read more about it, see our Disqus FAQ page. If you post comments, please be respectful of other readers. Your comments may be removed and you may be blocked from commenting if you violate our terms of service. Comments flagged by the system as potentially abusive will not appear until approved by a moderator.

more videos »
Visit our video index