You're in the California - California State Wire section

Reuters editor says he did not conspire in hack

The Associated Press

Thursday, Mar. 21, 2013 | 10:36 AM

tool name

close
tool goes here
0 comments

LOS ANGELES -- A Reuters social media editor accused of conspiring with hackers to deface a Los Angeles Times story has posted a statement on Facebook saying he did not commit the crimes he's accused of.

Federal prosecutors say 26-year-old Matthew Keys provided the hacking group Anonymous with login information to access the computer system of The Tribune Co., the Times' parent company.

According to the indictment handed down last week, a hacker altered a Times article posted in December 2010.

Keys posted on Facebook late Wednesday that he "did not give a username and a password to anyone." He also says he did not conspire to damage a protected computer or cause transmission of malicious code, as the indictment states.

Reuters hired Keys in 2012. He has been suspended from his job.


Similar stories:

  • Reuters editor says he did not conspire in hack

  • LA Times hack: Security breach or harmless prank?

  • LA Times hack: Security breach or harmless prank?

  • Journalist's lawyer: Prank doesn't merit prison

  • Journalist's lawyer: Prank doesn't merit prison

The Bee's story-comment system is provided by Disqus. To read more about it, see our Disqus FAQ page. If you post comments, please be respectful of other readers. Your comments may be removed and you may be blocked from commenting if you violate our terms of service. Comments flagged by the system as potentially abusive will not appear until approved by a moderator.

more videos »
Visit our video index