MOSCOW -- Russia's state audit agency is looking into the Bolshoi, a probe that comes amid allegations of mismanagement and corruption at the famed theater, officials said Thursday.
The Audit Chamber said the investigation into the use of public funds had been planned in advance and isn't linked to the accusations of financial abuse raised by a dancer who was arrested earlier this month on charges of staging an acid attack on the theater's artistic director Sergei Filin.
But the daily Izvestia claimed the auditors were specifically looking at Filin's spending decisions, in particular those concerning the distribution of grants between dancers. And the probe could spell more trouble for the Bolshoi's general director, Anatoly Iksanov, who is in conflict with principal dancer Nikolai Tsiskaridze.
Iksanov has accused Tsiskaridze of creating an atmosphere of intrigue that set the scene for the attack on Filin. The 39-year old dancer has dismissed the claims and pointed to the attack as evidence that the theater has descended into crime and violence under Iksanov's watch.
On Sunday, in a live talk show on state-controlled NTV television, Tsiskaridze poured scorn on Iksanov, accusing him of mismanaging the Bolshoi's six-year, $1 billion reconstruction, ruining its repertoire and abusing dancers' rights. He ended up by putting a blunt claim to the director's job.


