You're in the Sports - Sports Wire - Horse & Harness Racing section

Fort Larned doing fine after tumble

- The Sports Network

Wednesday, Mar. 13, 2013 | 02:54 PM

tool name

close
tool goes here
0 comments

Fort Larned, winner of last year's Breeders' Cup Classic, is doing fine just days after falling at the start of the Gulfstream Park Handicap. The 5-year-old is stabled at Palm Meadows Training Center.

"Everything's good. It's superficial. It's not real bad, " said trainer Ian Wilkes about Fort Larned's injury. The horse grabbed a quarter before falling head first to the track.

Wilkes indicated that the 5-year-old could return to training by the weekend.

"I'll see how he's doing tomorrow," Wilkes said. "He'll likely go back on Friday or Saturday, if he's OK."

Owned by Janis Whitham, Fort Larned will be nominated to the $100,000 Skip Away Stakes at Gulfstream Park on March 30, a race he won last year.

"We're not sure yet, he's not been back to the track yet," said Wilkes on when Fort Larned would race next. "We'll wait until he goes back to the track and go from there."

Fort Larned has won eight of 20 lifetime starts for $3,687,236. Along with the Classic and Skip Away Stakes, last year he also captured the Cornhusker Handicap and Whitney Invitational.


Similar stories:

  • Fort Larned loses jockey in Gulfstream Park Handicap

  • Fort Larned returns in Gulfstream Park Handicap

  • Virus sidelines Mucho Macho Man

  • Verrazano claims top spot in NTRA 3-Year-Old Poll

  • Opening NTRA Polls have Game On Dude and Itsmyluckyday leading

The Bee's story-comment system is provided by Disqus. To read more about it, see our Disqus FAQ page. If you post comments, please be respectful of other readers. Your comments may be removed and you may be blocked from commenting if you violate our terms of service. Comments flagged by the system as potentially abusive will not appear until approved by a moderator.

more videos »
Visit our video index