One student was taken to a hospital after a fire broke out in a chemistry classroom at Clovis North High School on Friday afternoon, according to the Fresno Fire Department.
Department spokesman Koby Johns said the student sustained first-degree burns to the throat.
The fire broke out about 1:15 p.m. in a chemistry classroom as a teacher was showing a student an experiment involving two chemicals. The fire got out of control and ignited a backpack, causing the blaze to spread.
The teacher quickly covered the blaze with a fire blanket, then doused the fire with an extinguisher, Johns said.