Unless there is a dramatic change in the weather, China Peak will only have its base area running Friday when the winter resort opens for 2012-13.
Late last week, China Peak planned to have one chairlift operating. However, last weekend's storm brought only a couple of inches of snow to the Huntington Lake area instead of the forecasted 2-3 feet. To compound that, temperatures and humidity levels have been too high for ideal snowmaking.
The moving carpets in the base area will be open, as will a jib park on the beginner slope and the tubing hill. Ski and board rentals and beginner lessons also will be available. Hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Lift ticket prices for this weekend are $25 for adults, $20 for juniors/seniors and $10 for kids. The tubing hill is $16 for five rides.
China Peak will close Monday before reopening Dec. 1, hopefully with more lifts and runs. Details: skichinapeak.com.
News & notes
- Native American mortar holes are a main attraction in Saturday's Table Mountain Discovery hike. Register at sierrafoothill.org.
- Yosemite Falls and Bridalveil Fall are flowing again after 2 inches of rain last weekend in Yosemite Valley. The falls had been dry since mid-July.
- The road to Courtright Reservoir in the Sierra National Forest is closed for the winter, while McKinley Grove Road will remain open until Nov. 29.
- Need something to do this weekend? Sequoia National Park rangers are leading 20-minute walks at the General Sherman Tree at 2 p.m. Thursday and 11 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. There's also a 3-hour Tokopah hike at 1 p.m. Saturday.
- In the Sequoia National Forest, Highway 180 between the Hume Lake cutoff and Boyden Cave closes Monday. The road to Cedar Grove already is closed.
- Donations will be accepted through Monday for Sole 2 Soul Sports' "Kicks for Kids" program. For every $25 donated, Sole 2 Soul will give a pair of high-quality running shoes to a local child. Details: soul2solesports.com or (559) 224-5522.
Tioga Road and Glacier Point Road remain closed and will be assessed over the next few days, park officials said in a news release.
Kaiser Pass Road and Beasore Road remain open (chains required), though that could change at any time.
Check the latest road conditions at fs.usda.gov/sierra.
The free shuttle between the Sherman Tree, Lodgepole Visitor Center and Wuksachi Lodge will operate all weekend.