A barn, everything inside and a tractor were burned in a fire ignited by a power tool in Tulare on Sunday morning, the Tulare County Fire Department said.
The debris fire was reported just before 11 a.m. on the 21000 block of Road 56. The property's renter admitted using a grinding power tool to work on a piece of machinery prior to the fire, officials said. The man said flames ignited when he set the equipment on the ground.
Reedley offers health interpreter certificate
A new Health Care Interpreter Certification Program will be offered to students at Reedley College who can speak Hmong or Spanish.
Classes begin Oct. 1 for those interested in the HCI-Spanish program. There will be a mandatory orientation at 5:30 p.m. Sept. 17 in room SOC 32 at the college.
A mandatory orientation meeting will be held in the Clovis Center, 390 W. Fir Ave., at 6 p.m. Sept. 18 for the HCI-Hmong program. Classes start Sept. 25 for the Hmong program.
Tulare Co. shelter to close for upgrade
The Tulare County Animal Control Shelter will be closed next Monday for a comprehensive technical information system update.
The shelter, at 14131 Avenue 256, will not take animal drop-offs or surrenders but emergency calls will be handled by on-call animal control officers for the day.
Biola to celebrate 100th anniversary
The community of Biola will celebrate its 100th anniversary in October with its 56th Annual Raisin Day Festival and Parade.
The event will take place Oct. 19 through 21. Festivities will include live entertainment, food booths, carnivals, raffles and auctions. For more information, contact Daniel Lozano at (559) 375-3883.