Huntington Lake's largest campground -- Rancheria -- remains closed for a second straight summer due to "unscheduled holdups," said Red Wood, operations director for California Land Management.
The 149-site campground has been closed since the fall of 2010 due to refurbishing. It was originally slated to be open in mid-July.
Rancheria represents more than 50% of all designated campsites in the Huntington Lake area. Its closure has impacted not only campers but business owners around the lake.
New pavement, bathrooms and signage have been installed at Rancheria, but a spray-painted "campground closed" sign keeps onlookers away.
SAR Wild Run
When: Aug. 5
Where: Shaver Lake
Looking for a new fitness challenge? This first-year event benefiting Fresno County Search & Rescue combines 5-kilometer and 10K trail runs with a 16K mountain bike ride and a 2K family hike -- all at 5,400 feet in the Sierra.
Go to sarwildrun.com for course details.
News & notes
- Due to low water levels at Edison Lake, the Vermilion Valley Resort has suspended its ferry service for the season. The resort remains open and will continue offering rides to the Bear Ridge and Bear Creek trailheads for southbound John Muir Trail hikers.
- Construction of North Riverside Park just downstream of Pine Flat Dam is out for bid and could be completed by late fall, according to the Kings River Conservancy. The park will feature a 11/2-mile multi-purpose trail with river access.
- Rangers at Kings Canyon & Sequoia National Parks are offering nightly campfire programs at Grant Grove, Giant Forest, Cedar Grove and the Foothills Visitor Center. For a complete schedule, go to nps.gov/seki, then click on "Plan Your Visit" and "Things to Do."
- Tom Harrison Maps has produced a new full-color, waterproof map of the Sierra National Forest that includes the John Muir and Ansel Adams wilderness areas and portions of Yosemite and Kings Canyon national parks. Details: tomharrisonmaps.com.
- Clueless about camping? Learn all the basics for your next trip during a free hour-long seminar at 7 p.m. Tuesday at REI. Sign up at rei.com/fresno.