Yosemite celebrates $1.15m in renovations
DNC Parks & Resorts on Tuesday celebrated the completion of a $1.15 million eco-friendly remodel of the Village Store in Yosemite Valley.
Highlights of the renovation include energy efficient refrigeration; new Marmoleum flooring made of renewable, recycled materials; energy-efficient light fixtures; and relocating produce to the front of the store to promote healthier options for visitors.
The Wawona Hotel, Yosemite Mountaineering School and the bike rental stand at the Yosemite Lodge also opened for the season this week, just in time for park visitors to enjoy gushing waterfalls and wildflower displays.
Details: yosemitepark.com or (801) 559-4949.
Big Valley XC Series
Where: Hansen Ranch, Clovis
Fresno's only mountain bike series returns Easter Sunday with the fourth of six scheduled races in the Clovis foothills.
Registration for all classes opens at 9 a.m. Details: sickpromotions.net
Millerton Lake Triathlon
When: April 21
Where: Madera County boat ramp
This annual event features both sprint distance (400-yard swim, 12-mile road bike, 3-mile run) and Olympic distance (800-yard swim, 24-mile bike, 6-mile run) races.
Fees are $85 for individuals and $150 for relay teams. Go to sierramultisport.com for details or register at active.com.
News & notes
- The Department of Fish and Game has completed its 2012 bear cub release program by returning six orphaned cubs into the wild. Two of the cubs, brothers discovered last summer near the High Sierra Ranger Station after their mother was killed by a poacher's arrow, were released in January near Kaiser Pass.
- "Backcountry Backpacking in the Sierras" will once again be offered this spring through College of the Sequoias' community education program. Classes begin Tuesday night and include a May 4-6 trip along the Middle Fork of the Kaweah River. Fees are $100. Register at (559) 737-4884.
- The Generals Highway between Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks has reopened, but visitors should be aware the road could close at any time due to snow. Call (559) 565-3341, then press 1 three times for the latest road conditions.
- Woodcutting season opened Sunday in the Sierra National Forest. All woodcutters must obtain a $10 permit, available at any forest service office. Details: (559) 297-0706.
- The DFG has published a new fishing guide for the Eastern Sierra backcountry designed to provide anglers information on high-elevation lakes. The guide can be found at dfg.ca.gov/regions/6.