Parking Lot Jib Jam
When: 11 a.m. Saturday
Where: Herb Bauer Sporting Goods
Ten tons of snow will be trucked in and more than $3,000 prizes will be up for grabs at this seventh annual snowboarding event at the Herb Bauer parking lot, 6264 N. Blackstone Ave., Fresno.
Entry fees are $20 and space is limited. Call (559) 435-8600 to sign up.
Homegrown Cyclocross Series
Where: Woodward Park
The Valley's only cyclocross series concludes with the fifth and final race, as point standings in many divisions remain tight.
More than 80 people have attended the past four races, and organizers are hoping to reach 100. Racing begins at 10 a.m. Details: ccorc.org.
News & notes
- Entrance fees will be waived Friday through Sunday at all national parks and monuments, including Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon and Pinnacles, in honor of Veterans Day. The next free weekend will be Jan. 14-16.
- President Barack Obama on Monday signed the Ski Area Recreational Opportunity Enhancement Act of 2011, which permits year-round recreation such as mountain bike parks, Frisbee golf courses and zip lines on ski areas that operate on national forest lands.
- British mountaineer Ian Woodall, who has summitted Mount Everest from both its north and south approaches, will give a talk about his experiences Wednesday at 7 p.m. at REI. Sign up at rei.com/fresno.
- Learn the basics of snowshoeing, what you need to get started and where to go, at a free seminar Nov. 20 at 2 p.m. at REI. Sign up at rei.com/fresno.
- The Fresno Audubon Society's Wednesday Walks series resumes Nov. 22 with a trip to Sycamore Island on the San Joaquin River. The public is welcome. Details: (559) 978-0192.
The reporter can be reached at email@example.com or (559) 441-6218.